Brushing your teeth seems simple enough, but there are actually a few ways you can seriously damage your oral health. There are a few common mistakes that people make when brushing their teeth and here at Durango Dentistry, we want to make sure all of our patients are aware of these mistakes and know how to avoid making them!
Common Brushing Mistakes
Below are a few of the common mistakes people make when brushing their teeth:
- Brushing too hard – Brushing your teeth too vigorously can wear down your tooth enamel, making your teeth more vulnerable to dental cavities and tooth sensitivity. Instead, it’s important to use a brush with soft bristles and brush your teeth gently.
- Using the same brush for too long – You should be replacing your toothbrush every 4 months or as soon as you notice the bristles are beginning to fray, whichever comes first. It’s also smart to replace your toothbrush after you’ve recovered from an illness such as the cold or the flu.
- Sharing a toothbrush – You might be surprised to learn how common it is for people in the same household to share a toothbrush. Not only will this spread germs, but it will also transfer the plaque and bacteria on the brush from mouth to mouth. Make sure each member of your household has his or her own toothbrush.
- Storing your toothbrush improperly – The best way to store your toothbrush is in a closed cabinet in the upright position. This will prevent any germs from getting on the bristles when your toothbrush is not in use.
- Not brushing long enough – In order to make sure you’re brushing every surface of every tooth, you’ll need to brush your teeth for around two minutes. If you’re brushing less than this, there’s a good chance you aren’t properly cleaning each tooth.
Here at Durango Dentistry, your dental health is important to us! For more tips on keeping your teeth and mouth as healthy as possible, please contact our Durango, Colorado family dental office today!